Dr. James P. Williams, one of the leading dental surgeons of western Kentucky and prominent citizen of Henderson, was born in Winchester, Tennessee, January 18, 1865; son of James C. and Cynthia (Vaughan) Williams. His father was born in Virginia in 1821, and some years later removed with his family to Franklin County, Tennessee, where he became a farmer, and in 1846 married Cynthia Vaughan, and they had twelve children: Fulton, Indiana, Rufus, Martin, Marie, Jasper, Thomas, Mollie, Jennie, Jeremiah, Josiah and Cynthia. The father is still living in Tennessee, but the mother died in February, 1895.
Joshua Williams (grandfather) was a native of Jackson County, Alabama, who removed to Virginia and later to Tennessee.
Dr. James P. Williams, the subject of this sketch, received his education in Winchester, principally at the normal school, in which he received a very high rating in 1885. He then attended Vanderbilt University, and was graduated from the dental department in 1888.
He located in Owensboro, and was for six years associated with Dr. Armendt, a well-known dentist of that city, but removed to Henderson in 1884, where he has established himself in a lucrative business and in the confidence of the people, receiving a liberal share of their patronage. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and is active and enthusiastic in the work of the church.
Source: Biographical Cyclopedia of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. John M. Gresham Company, Chicago, Philadelphia, 1896.