This was a very small body organized as a Baptist Church by Elder William Downs about the year 1839, and located in Daviess County about midway between Bethabara and Bell’s Run Churches some four miles from both. Its influence, perhaps, was not seen in the community as an inducement to sinners to repent, but it seemed to be better able to retard the progress of the Gospel rather than to advance it owing to their opposition to all the benevolent work in the denomination and to all efforts to preach the Gospel to the regions beyond. Although Elder Downs held his membership in the Goshen Association for a number of years he could not harmonize with that body in her work, and this gives another evidence of his hostility to missionary work and plans. This little Church was never associated with any others as far as information goes, though there was some effort made to identify it with an Association claiming to be Regular Baptists located in Henderson and Union Counties, then known as Highland Association, but before the necessary arrangements could be completed the Church and the Association both became extinct. Although Sardis had a name to live yet was dead, and a few names which had not defiled their garments; yet there was not salt enough in the body to preserve it, and therefore it was cast out. This is a sad commentary upon a body claiming to be a Church of Jesus Christ.
Source: A History of the Daviess-McLean Baptist Association in Kentucky, 1844-1943. Wendell H. Rone, Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, 1944.