#7 The C L Applegate
Cecil suggests that the distillery was built by C L Applegate in 1868. Information from insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that the distillery property included a two frame warehouses, both with metal or slate roofs. Warehouse “A” was 115 ft north of the still house, warehouse “B” was 107 ft south. The distillery itself was constructed similarly. The property also included cattle and a barn. The owner is recorded as being C. L. Applegate & Co.
Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The C L Applegate Distillery as follows:
1898: C L Applegate & Co. — T, W
T – Spirits were withdrawn upon payment of tax
W – Spirits remained in the warehouse at the close of the year