Registered Distillery #3 aka JMW Field

#3 – The JMW Field

Information from insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that the distillery property lay 4 miles SE of the city, while city listings for 1882 put it 2 miles east. Cecil notes that the distillery was established in 1873 and was small, with a 2-1/2 bushel capacity. This grew to 250 bushels by the time it closed with the onset of Prohibition. By 1892 (insurance records), the property included four warehouses. Warehouse A was frame with a metal or slate roof, located 104 ft N of the still. Warehouse B was constructed similarly and was new, located 164 ft N. Warehouse “No. 3” was frame with a shingle roof, 100 ft NE of the still house, but an annotation to the insurance records showed that it had been removed by 1896. The fourth warehouse was Free, with a frame/shingle construction and located 180 ft NE of the still. The property also housed cattle and frame cattle sheds 175 ft NW.

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The J W M Field Distillery as follows: 1898: J W M Field — D, T, E, B, W

1901: J W M Field — D, T, B, G, W (casualty)

1903: J W M Field — D, T, B, G, E, M, W

1904: J W M Field — T, B, G, E, M, W

1904: J W M Field Inc. — D, T, W

1914: J W M Field Inc. — no details given

1920: J W M Field Inc. — no details given

D – Spirits were deposited in the warehouse

T – Spirits were withdrawn upon payment of tax

E – Spirits were withdrawn for export

B – Spirits were withdrawn upon payment of the tax for bottling in bond

M – Spirits were withdrawn for transfer to manufacturing warehouses

G – Spirits were withdrawn for transfer to general bonded warehouses

W – Spirits remained in the warehouse at the close of the year

Source: www.pre-pro.com