Registered Distillery #13 aka M P Mattingly

#13 The M P Mattingly

Cecil suggests that the distillery was built in Mattingly, 5 miles west of Owensboro, by W S Stone. It was sold to M P Mattingly in 1863, who increased its capacity from 60 to 275 bushels. Information from insurance underwriter records compiled in 1892 suggest that the distillery was of frame construction with a shingle roof. The property included two frame warehouses: “No. 1” was 180 ft west of the still, while a free warehouse stood 305 ft west. There was also a corn crib 8 ft north of No. 1. The 1892 records show the still was being operated by M P Mattingly, with an office in Owensboro at the SE corner of Frederica & 3 rd.

Internal Revenue recorded warehouse transactions for The M P Mattingly Distillery as follows:

1898: M P Mattingly — T, E, B, W

1901: M P Mattingly — T, D, B, W

1903: M P Mattingly — T, B, G, W

1903: M P Mattingly — D, W

1904: M P Mattingly (new) — D, W

1904: M P Mattingly — T, B, G, W

1914: M P Mattingly — no details given

1914: M P Mattingly, Jr. — no details given

1920: M P Mattingly, Jr. — no details given

1920: M P Mattingly — no details given

D – Spirits were deposited in the warehouse

T – Spirits were withdrawn upon payment of tax

E – Spirits were withdrawn for export

B – Spirits were withdrawn upon payment of the tax for bottling in bond

G – Spirits were withdrawn for transfer to general bonded warehouses

W – Spirits remained in the warehouse at the close of the year

Source: www.pre-pro.com