This Church is not to be confused with the Church now known by that name and located in the village of Pleasant Ridge. She was organized some time in the year 1860 by Elders J. P. Ellis, John G. Howard, I. R. Allen, and J. M. Dawson. The place of constitution was at the Graves School House near the present site of Philpot, Daviess County, Ky. For some time previous to this the Missionary of the Association had held regular appointments at this place. The Church immediately became a member of the Daviess County Association.
Her first pastor was Elder J. M. Dawson who served from 1860 to 1864. He was succeeded by Elder J. S. Taylor who served in the year 1865. Elder W. H. Dawson served from 1866 to the extinction of the Church on March 8, 1868. Brother R. L. Gabbert served as clerk in 1860-1864; A. H. Gabbert in 1865; and A. G. Howard in 1866-1868.
Her highest membership was 30 in 1866. After that she gradually declined until the members were lettered off to go into other Churches. In looking for the reason for her failure Elder J. P. Ellis says, “No records have been found but it may be stated with certainty that the late Civil War had much to do with impeding the progress of this Church in her younger days, and subsequently, she having no house in which to worship, was much troubled in making arrangements to build, and after agreeing on the style and dimensions of the house utterly failed in agreeing on the location.”
In looking over the names of her messengers to the Association we note the following: W. H. Phillips, A. G. Howard, R. L. Gabbert, J. T. Weir, and J. M. Dawson. The present Church at Philpot had no connection with the above Church as it was constituted almost 37 years later.
Source: A History of the Daviess-McLean Baptist Association in Kentucky, 1844-1943. Wendell H. Rone, Messenger Job Printing Co., Inc., Owensboro, Kentucky, 1944.