Andrew Jackson Casey, President of the Inquirer Publishing Company of Owensboro, son of A. W. and Mary (Cagle) Casey, was born in Russellville, Kentucky, November 15, 1860. His father was born in De Kalb County, Tennessee, August 19, 1827; married Mary Cagle August 19, 1846; was a farmer; served in the Confederate army and was colorbearer in Colonel J. W. Caldwell’s regiment, and was killed in the battle of Shiloh April 6, 1862.
His mother, Mary Cagle Casey, is a daughter of Charles Cagle, whose wife was Mary Demonbreun, daughter of Timothy Demonbreun, who lived near Nashville, and for whom Demonbreun street in that city was named. She was educated in the public schools; is now a resident of Russellville, Kentucky, and although past seventy-two years of age, still retains a vigorous intellect. Her grandfather, Timothy Demonbreun, was a soldier in the Revolutionary war.
Andrew J. Casey, after leaving school, which he did at an early age, found employment in the office of the Russellville Herald, and beginning as an office boy he was promoted step by step, learning the duties and how to perform them, in every department of the newspaper office, until, in 1885, he bought a half interest and became the editor of the Herald. He sold his interest in that paper in 1891 and purchased the Owensboro Inquirer, a daily and weekly Democratic newspaper, which, under his able management, has become one of the best papers published in the western part of the state, and a valuable property. Mr. Casey is of a retiring disposition, and has never sought political preferment or distinction, though he has numerous friends who would gladly thrust these honors upon him. His legion of admirers is the best evidence of his popularity. Mr. Casey was married April 17, 1894, to Lida Walker, daughter of the illustrious Judge E. Dudley Walker of Hartford, whose biography is given in this volume. She is of that type of woman who have made Kentucky famous. They have one son, Walker Casey.
Source: Biographical Cyclopedia of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. John M. Gresham Company, Chicago, Philadelphia, 1896.