The post office of Andersonville, which was established by Americus F. Davis on June 30, 1892 (and closed in March 1906), was on Ky. 140, at the site of the crossroads hamlet now locally called Red Hill, thirteen miles sse of Owensboro. It is not known for which of the county’s several prominent Andersons it was named. Samuel Anderson was a pioneer preacher; James B. Anderson (1808-1867) was the director of Owensboro’s first bank (established 1850); and the brothers T. S. and W. K. Anderson, also bankers, served many county farmers.
|Postmaster/Compensation||Appointment/Year of compensation|
|Americus F. Davis||6/30/1892|
|Travis M. Mapel||30|
|Discontinued to Utica|
Postmasters and appointment dates – Source: United States Post Office Records
Compensation and dates – Source: Official Register of The United States for years listed