Rev. Oscar Pacific Ackerman, D.C.L., pastor and founder of St Philip Neri Roman Catholic church, Louisville, Ky., was born in that city Dec 12, 1868, a son of Philip and Walburka (Kieffer) Ackerman, both natives of Germany, His father came to the United States in the early fifties and for many years has been permanently identified with the business interests of Louisville, where he still resides. His maternal grandparents, Jacob and Barbara Keiffer, came to America in 1846 and were among the pioneer German families of Louisville, where they lived and died. Father Ackerman’s primary education was received in the parochial school of Louisville. He spent one year at St. Xavier’s college in that city; five years at St. Meinrad’s college in Spencer county, Ind.; was graduated in theology from the University of Innsbruck, Austria, in 1892, and ordained to the priesthood in July of the same year, after which he took a post-graduate course of three years at the Apollinaris Law school in Rome, In 1895 he returned home, and was appointed pastor of St. Lawrence church in Daviess county, Ky., where he remained until 1898, when he came to Louisville. Here he organized his present parish, the corner-stone of the church being laid July 17, 1898, and the church, one of the finest edifices of its kind, was finished and opened April 9, 1899. Its total cost, including site, parish house and school building and furnishings, was over $40,000. Father Ackerman started this church with a congregation of but eight families. Now there are eighty-two and the school has an attendance of seventy-five pupils. Father Ackerman is public spirited, enterprising and greatly beloved by his parishioners and the general public outside of his church.
Source: Memoirs of the Lower Ohio Valley, Federal Publishing Company, Madison, Wis., 1905